Tuesday, November 17, 2009

You're stuck in a room with... no computer!

So you're stuck in a conference room. For an hour. With no computer! OH NO! What do you do?

I was in this situation the other day and I got really anxious. I'm one of those people who needs to be doing something at all hours of the day. I even have trouble sleeping (well, I have trouble getting to sleep, but also waking up from sleep!). So when I found myself practically locked in a room for an hour with just a bunch of chairs, a table, a pad of paper and pen, and my iPhone, I began to anxiously contemplate what productive things I could spend the next hour doing.

Some things that I did, or thought about doing:
1. Check the twitterverse.What is everyone else doing? What news is being posted? Maybe I should ask twitter what I should do with my hour.
2. Stare at all the empty chairs until the hour passes (I tried that for about 30 seconds and started tapping my feet... moving on...)
3. Call my mom to plan dinner. Well... I did that, but it doesn't take a lot of time.
4. Brainstorm new blog posts. Does anyone else find it really hard to hand-write articles these days? It's good for jotting down ideas as they come to me, but I go off on so many tangents and can barely read my handwriting as it gets closer to the end of the page. Letters start blending together as my mind moves faster than my fingers. The keyboard was a great invention!
5. Use the pen & paper to plan out work goals, business ideas, or sales techniques, etc. The problem I found with this is that I hate to be interrupted in the middle of something like this. And hour seems like a long time, but often times not long enough.

So I'm curious to know what my other Gen Y counterparts do in their "free-time" alone & sans computer. Do you try get work done in all your spare time between meetings and calls or do you find yourself trying to take a breather, relax, do some yoga, or what?

Please share!

1 comment:

  1. If I have my iPhone, I use that to keep me distracted. The many apps and games... I can spend way more than an hour doing that.

    ReplyDelete